Do you ever heard about ‘Salicylic Acid’?
Well, salicylic acid is a ‘beta hydroxy’ acid found in the bark of the willow tree and it’s derived naturally from the metabolism of salicin. Salicylic acid has used in many skin care and hair care products.
It has anti-inflammatory properties that helps to fight against several skin ailments and dandruff. Even it’s also found in several fruits like kiwi, apricots, strawberries, green peppers, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, radish, olives, peanuts, almonds, chicory etc.
For commerical use, it’s prepared by treating sodium phenolate with carbon dioxide at high temperature.
Salicylic acid helps to kill the bacteria that cause acne & pimples. It also helps to treat skin & scalp infection like dandruff. It also reduce the risk of future clogging. Only con is that it can make your skin dry as well. So it’s not good for dry skin people .
Here are some benefits of salicylic acid for skin & hair care:- (Only good for oily skin )
- Salicylic acid is one of the biggest enemy of acne & pimples. It works by attacking your skin’s glue that holds skin cells together and helps to kill the bacteria that can be the actual cause of your acne & pimples.
- Salicylic acid works best on blackheads and whiteheads. It can even give your skin cells a deep cleaning.
- If you’re facing skin discoloration issues like blemishes , skin darkening( dark spots) and black marks then salicylic acid is good for you as it helps to reduce skin’s discoloration.
Also Read :- Top 8 Skin Care Products To Treat Acne
- Salicylic acid is best for oily skin because it breaks down fatty compounds such as skin’s sebum or natural oils and clear out excess oils from skin.
- Salicylic acid has used in many anti-dandruff shampoos and if you are suffering from stubborn dandruff due to psoriasis, excess sebum or scalp infection then salicylic acid is best choice for you. You can easily buy shampoo that contains salicylic acid as per the directions of your doctor.
- Salicylic acid is also good for reducing rashes, redness and inflammation on skin. It’s good to treat eczema, psoriasis and sunburns.
- Salicylic acid helps to repair damaged skin cells and increases collagen production which makes your skin youthful.
- Saicylic acid is effective against warts, corns and callouses. It’s good to treat warts on the hands & feet too but don’t use it on genital warts.
- One of the best thing is that you can also make ‘Salicylic Acid Peel’ at home. For this, you may need normal cleanser, salicylic acid peel 15 %, 1/2 baking soda in cups water , a gentle moisturizer and veseline etc.
- Last but not least, it’s better to eat fruits that contains salicylic acid like kiwi , strawberries, blueberries, dates, guava, olives, radish, chicory, peanuts, almonds etc. for your overall health as well as skin care.
Important Note:- According to me, salicylic acid is not good for dry & sensitive skin. So if you have sensitive or dry skin or you’re pregnant or you are taking certain medications, then you must avoid it. It’s only good for oily to normal skin tone people.